Merle Guild Post 208


Filing an application for the NEF (National Emergency Fund)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                               Contact: Cook County Recorder of Deeds  
October 14, 2020                                                                           
                              (312) 603-5050   
Recorder of Deeds Public Notice  
October 14, 2020 Edward M. Moody, Cook County Recorder of Deeds is now offering Veterans and active duty service members’ the ability to register online for the Cook County Military and Discount Card at the Recorder of Deeds website  
The online registration allows active-duty personnel, veterans, guard members and reservists to register from the comfort of their home. This new service helps protect the veterans and service members and eliminates any issues or concerns they may have relating to COVID-19. It provides veterans and active duty military with a free money-saving discount card and access to a diverse network of over 200 businesses that are committed to providing discounts.   
To obtain a Military and Veteran’s Discount Card, the eligible recipient must first register online at Once the registration has been completed and submitted online, the recipient  is required to submit by mail, to the Cook County Recorder of Deeds Office, 118 N. Clark Street, Room 120, Chicago, IL 60602: One color, head shot photo and one copy of the following proof of service (DD-214, VA ID, CAC Card or Retired Military ID) card.  And, if submitting a DD-214, one copy of the following government issued ID (Valid Driver’s License, State ID, Passport, CAC card or VA ID).  
 When all required documents have been received, the Recorder of Deeds Office will process the information and send by mail, the Cook County Military and Veterans Discount Card, entitling the veteran to discounts with 200 merchants in Cook County.   
 “Through the commitment and support of businesses’, the Recorder of Deeds Office is proud to continue serving our veterans and service members in these challenging times,” said Edward M. Moody, Cook County Recorder of Deeds.   
The Military and Veteran’s Discount Program (MVDP) jointly administered with the Cook County Office of Veterans Affairs is a vehicle to build a network of businesses across Cook County, who offer military and veteran discounts beyond the normal military holidays.  This public-private partnership is a small way to honor those who have served by helping them keep more of their hard-earned money. The discounts range from a percentage of the service-member’s total bill to free admission to a theater, museum or sporting event and the list of participating businesses can be accessed at  
For more information or to sign-up a business for the veterans’ discount program, please go to or call the Veterans Service Office at 312-603-5788.   
Brian M. Cross
Cook County Recorder of Deeds
Edward M. Moody
Veterans Services
118 N. Clark St. - Suite 230
Chicago, IL 60602-1387




Illinois Secretary of State: Application for State of Illinois Drivers License and Veterans Designation on Your Illinois Drivers License

  • Be an honorably discharged U.S. Veteran.
  • Take your DD-214 or Certification of Military Service (NA Form 13038) to your local Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs' Office to have a certification stamp placed on your DD-214 or Form 13038.
  • Bring the certified DD-214 or Form 13038 to any Secretary of State facility to obtain the "Veteran" designation on your Driver's License or State ID card. If the "Veteran" designation is added during the renewal of your Driver's License or State ID card, there is no additional cost. If a veteran chooses to add the designation before their scheduled renewal date, they may obtain an updated Driver's License for $5 and an updated State ID card for $10. Veterans over the age of 65 can obtain an updated State ID card at no cost.
  • Applicants will leave the facility with a temporary, secure paper driver's license, which is valid for 90 days and will serve as their DL/state ID for driving purposes and proof of identification. The temporary, secure paper driver's license will contain a photo and the basic information that appears on the permanent driver's license or state ID card. In addition, the facility employee will return the old DL/state ID card back to the applicant.

To find your nearest Illinois Dept. of Veterans' Affairs office or to request a replacement DD-214 or Form 13038, please call 1-800-437-9824 or visit:


USMC License Plates from the Illinois Secretary of State Dept. of Motor Vehicles

Marine Corps License Plates may be issued to any Illinois resident who served in the United States Marine Corps. Proceeds from this plate goes into the Marine Corps Scholarship Fund, to provide grants for scholarships for higher education. The recipients must be children of current or former members of the United States Marine Corps who meet the requirements established by the fund. They must be Illinois residents and must attend a college or university located within the State of Illinois.


Illinois Secretary of State: U.S. Navy License Plates Call 800-252-8980 or 217- 785- 3000

Millions more will soon be allowed to shop on military bases. Veterans wonder how they’ll get access.


As defense officials get ready for 3 million more people who will be able to shop at military stores on base, some veterans are wondering whether they’ll be able to use their new benefits.

Some veterans have contacted Military Times to say that they are eligible for the new benefit that takes effect Jan. 1, but are concerned they won’t have access to the stores. That’s because they don’t have the specific credential required ― the Veteran Health Identification Card, or VHIC, issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Based on responses to Military Times queries, there are no answers yet for these veterans. Information was not immediately available about how many veterans could be affected.

Under a new law, Purple Heart recipients; former prisoners of war; veterans with a service-connected disability from 0 to 90 percent as documented by the Department of Veterans Affairs; and certain primary veteran caregivers will be newly eligible to shop at commissaries and exchanges. It applies to all military bases, including Coast Guard.

US Military Veterans Are Now Eligible to Join Navy Federal Credit Union 888-842-6328 - Just select zero to speak to a Member Services Representative

Who Can Join?

Wondering if you or your family members are eligible to join? If you’re a veteran of the armed forces, you can join. How about if you’re a veterinarian whose sister is in the Army? You can join, too. If you’re a Naval Commanding Officer or an Army Plebe, we’d love to serve you. How about if your spouse works for a DoD installation? You’re welcome to become a member, too.

Here’s a quick guide to Navy Federal’s field of membership.

Membership is open to:

  • Active Duty members, reservists, veterans, retirees and annuitants of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard
  • Army and Air National Guard personnel
  • Delayed Entry Program personnel
  • Department of Defense (DoD) civilians
  • U.S. government employees assigned to DoD installations
  • contractors assigned to DoD installations
  • family members of one of the above